Sunday, April 03, 2011

Beginning of Lent

So I've been a little slack keeping up with the goings on. Here is a catch up of our Lent.

Well, I just deleted my first photo by accident. I am not going to go through the hassle of uploading it again, so I will keep going.

The beginning of Lent is Ash Wednesday. The day before is referred to as Mardi Gras/ Fat Tuesday/ Shrove Tuesday

We spent the day in preparation of Lent with a few school activities. The first was working on our Alms Cross and the second was our Mardi Gras masks.
Here is our supplies laid out on our kitchen table which is where we do our school work.
I needed an alms box. I had JUST gotten rid of an oatmeal container that would have been perfect. So I went looking and found this container. My dad buys these drink mixes for himself for while he is visiting. I removed the wrapper and had my cylinder. :)

   
Our Alms box covered in purple construction paper which was hotglued. In the background you can see our Alms Cross. I found this great project over at Catholic Icing. Please check out Lacy's blog and all of the great ideas she has!     

Our completed Alms Box
Joshua working on his Mardi Gras mask.

The boys chose their sequins and the position of the feathers. I hotglued the feathers on, Joshua glued his sequins, and I helped John-Michael glue his. He chose which ones and I stuck them in the glue and he pointed to where he wanted them stuck.

Joshua's finished mask. He insisted on the feathers "on my nose."

Our finished Alms cross. This hangs in our school area and the boys take turns counting the pennies and removing them for the Alms Box.


He was very proud of his mask :)

Did you know you can suck a paci AND wear a mask at the same time?? Poor little guy was tired, this was taken just before bedtime. His arm is behind his head because he is twirling his hair. :)

For the rest of Mardi Gras, we had our "Aunt S" over for pancakes (in olden times, fasting and abstinence was strict and most people gave up butter, flour and eggs for Lent. So they used them all up for pancakes the night before.)

On Ash Wednesday we went to Mass at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist and started our Lenten Season. 

Click HERE to see our Weekly Lesson Plan that we used for the week of Ash Wednesday.

I will upload more from our schooling as I have the chance.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...