Tuesday, September 06, 2011

I've given up on dishcloths

Well, store bought ones at least. We have been a cloth family for years. We use reusable towels, napkins, washcloths, menstrual items, etc...

Two years ago I taught myself how to knit. I have some great friends who helped me learn through my mistakes and I love knitting. One easy thing I like to knit are dishcloths. I can usually whip out one in about hours, or the same time it takes to do a newborn size hat. Once you have your pattern down, some of them are kind of mindless and you can easily do them while watching tv or while riding in the car.

I know have 7 handmade washcloths. I have several that are waffle weave, 2 that are the bright colored ones with a garter stitch, 1 that is a heart, and my favorite is the white and blues which is an Elvish Leaves pattern.

If you are a knitter or crocheter, I highly recommend joining Ravelry, an online community of knitters and crocheters. They have thousands of patterns online, many of them for free or low charge.

My dishcloths are all 100% cotton. They are easy to take care of and wonderful to use. You can see all of the ridges that you just can't get with store bought dishcloths. They scrub like a dream, especially on greasy stoves or dirty windows.

If you don't know how to knit or crochet, they are both fairly easy to learn and you local library has tons of books. You can also check your local newspapers for groups in your area.

If you aren't interested in knitting or crocheting your own, you can find some on sites like Etsy and Hyenacart. So safe yourself and your sanity from the cheap, Made in China dishcloths and stock your drawers with beautiful, handmade dishcloths that will put a smile on your face when you use them. :)

1 comments:

Tiffany @ As For My House said...[Reply]

Wow, these are so lovely.

I'm very eco-friendly with my repurposed old pre-fold diapers, and cut up worn out towels... But it is kind of depressing! LOL

Now that I've seen some of the lovely ones on Etsy, I know what to ask my extended family for for gifts. It'll be a while yet until I have the time and energy to learn to knit or crochet. It's on the list, though!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...