Saturday, July 16, 2011

Barbecue Chicken Pizza

While In D.C., Ashley and I brought all our food to eat to have more money to shop cut down on our expenses. Well, I took care of the hotel and she brought the food, but I digress. But anyways, she taught me this AWESOME recipe!! Since I've been home, I've made it twice now, and put my own spin on it. Ashley uses flatbreads (similar to the pitas you get in a restaurant) and I decided to make my own. This past week, Ashley and her wonderful family came to visit us while our oldest two attended VBS at the Cathedral. This was a great meal to have for our "family of 7"! We even had enough for lunch the next day, well for the adults at least.

I use one of the doughs in Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a day

This past week, I used the Olive Oil dough recipe. This is to make it dairy free for Ashley and her nursling. I had enough from the 5lbs mixture to make 10 individual sized pizzas!!

Recipe for Barbecue Chicken Pizza:

Prepare dough per the Artisan Bread in 5, or your favorite pizza dough
Oven preheated to 500 degrees
cornmeal (for ease of removal from baking stone)
Cooked chicken, shredded
Barbecue sauce (any flavor! I use Honey Barbecue)
Cheese (any blend)

This week, I used 4 big chicken breasts, boiled, picked and shredded. I had enough for 10 pizzas plus 1 shredded chicken sandwich. :) Add barbecue sauce to your chicken. You will use almost to a full bottle of barbecue sauce. Set aside.

Now your dough should have gone through it's rise. Punch it down an start tearing off chunks to make into individual pizzas.

Roll out your dough into little pizzas on a slightly floured surface. Do not over flour or the dough will not be sticky enough to hold it's shape. You may need to let it rest after working with the dough.

Your oven and baking stone should be preheated to 500 degrees for 20 minutes past the time your oven tells you it is at 500. I take out my stone and back down the temperature to 450 to not have smoke with the cornmeal. I do not have a pizza peel so that is why I remove my stone.

Lightly sprinkle corn meal on your stone and place the dough on it. Turn the edges up and towards the center of the dough to get a rolled edge. Spread a tablespoon or two of barbecue sauce on the dough and spread it around. Top with the shredded chicken. Leave space so the dough will be able to cook through. Top with cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and the crust is lightly browned and done. To continue making the pizza dairy free, instead of topping with cheese, either leave off the cheese or top with your favorite vegan cheese. Ashley kept hers without cheese and said it was yummy!


Mmmmmm.... pizza!!

When I make it for just my family, I have pizzas left over. Here are two ways I use the leftover pizzas.

1. wrap the cooked pizzas in foil and place in the fridge and eat for lunch. It's even good cold and I'm not a cold pizza person!

2. Prepare your dough into circles, roll edges for a crust, and prick the dough with a fork to cut down on bubbles. Bake your dough for 4 minutes at 500 degrees, and remove from the oven. Top with a layer of cheese on top of the dough, then add the sauce and barbecue chicken, then the cheese topping. The layer of cheese helps protect the dough from getting soggy. Wrap the entire pizza in several layers of plastic wrap and tin foil. Then place in your freezer. When you are ready to use your pizzas, pull them out and put them in an oven and set it at 425 degrees. Once it has reached 425 degrees, turn on the timer and bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the cheese and crust is done. If you want more freezer pizza ideas, check out Jenny over at Freezer Dinner.com!



I joined the link up! You should too!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...