Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Canning Party!!!




I was selected to host a Ball Discover You Can canning party through House Party

My dad, the boys, and I went out picking Blueberries two days before, so we had fresh, organic blueberries to can. I had $30 worth of blueberries and after 20 something half pints of blueberry-lemon preserves and 5 half pints of blueberry syrup, I STILL had blueberries!!!!!!!

I decided to make Paula Deen's Blueberry-Lemon Preserves. I had bought her Paula Deen magazine last year with the recipe in it. I have already made a few of her canning recipes, so we thought we would give this one a try. Oh.Em.Gee..... My husband doesn't even like blueberries (thanks honey for telling me BEFORE I picked & bought 12lbs of blueberries), but we ALL LOVE this recipe!! I think we've already gone through 4 or 5 half-pints in the last month alone.

Ingredients

5 cups blueberries
6 1/2 cups sugar
Zest of two lemons
Juice of two lemons
2 (3 ounce) envelops liquid fruit pectin (Ball Fruit Jell)
7 (8 oz.) Canning Jars with lids


Directions

Prepare jars and lids according to manufacturer’s instructions.

In a large saucepan over high heat add blueberries, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir frequently while bringing to a rolling boil. Stir in pectin and continue boiling for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Skim any foam if necessary and ladle into the hot prepared jars.
Don't you just want to lick that pot???

Be sure to leave at least a 1/4” space at the top of the jar.

Place the cap on the jars and process for another 15 minutes in a canner with boiling water.


Our snack table - Buffalo Chicken Dip, Homemade Chicken salad sandwiches, homemade bluebery muffins, pasta salad..... YUM!

The Caprese salad did not last long at all!!

Since I had a ton of blueberries left over, I made Blueberry Syrup
This lovely mess of blueberries got turned into popsicles for the boys and the juice was turned into the syrup. being a good homemaker or homesteader is about not letting things go to waste. :)

I do hope you will try this Blueberry Lemon Preserves recipe!! My friend Fairlight over at Polka Dot Tree asked me for this recipe and did her own batch.

Blessings!!

2 comments:

Bubbe Bites said...[Reply]

What a wonderful little website. I will visit often. It is a lot of work blogging, but so worth it.

Lisa Maria said...[Reply]

Hello Jennifer, stopping by to say Hi. I'm also a new mom at CMO and wanted to meet the other moms. You have such a cute blog.. love your pics of the kids at the beach. Look forward to reading more.

God Bless!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...